Monday, February 2, 2009

Coming Back for Seconds

Another energetic hello to everyone out there! I'm not as upbeat as last week when I posted, but this is only due to the fact that I'm really tired and it's twenty passed midnight. This week proved to be another tiring and busy week in my life as a teacher. I was gone all weekend again at a basketball tournament, and my students completely wore me out. Being the coach/chaperon is a 24 hour job, and one that is just as rewarding as it is exhausting. I love seeing my players/students get out and have a good time, but I can tell that my couch has been missing me on the weekends (it looked a little melancholy when I came in this afternoon).

This week started off pretty normally. Monday and Tuesday were really cold (between -47 and -53) and the rest of the week was only slightly warmer. Thursday was somewhat of a big day; our Superintendent and Head of Maintenance were out here to discuss our water situation/problem. Nothing but good news came out of this visit; they are going to start drilling our new well as soon as they get the go ahead, and until then, we are going to haul enough water from the city to keep running water in the complex. As of right now, I have water that actually comes out of my faucets and my toilet tank fills up all by itself (never taking these things for granted again). The news of a new well were welcome words for both the school staff and community members of Allakaket. Next year we won't have to worry about any of this water hauling business or shortened school days due to the lack of restroom facilities. The two visitors left on Thursday afternoon and everything was back to normal; not that them being here makes things abnormal, but my students just aren't the same when someone is around that normally isn't here. It's even worse when people from the district come to observe in the classroom; these things have to be done, but my students know that they are being watched and they just can't muster up the courage to be themselves...it's interesting to watch/be a part of.

I took a little break after school on Thursday and then came back for tutoring. My tutoring schedule is Monday/Wednesday with the Junior High from 5:30-7:00 and Tuesday/Thursday with the High School students during the same time frame. Tutoring has been a great thing so far; it has given me an opportunity to teach my kids in a setting that is not quite as structured as the classroom during the day (even though it's in the same classroom). I always try to promote a relaxed atmosphere in the classroom, but more so during tutoring (I almost always wear sweat pants and slippers). After tutoring, I went back to my house to pack up for the basketball trip; this proved to be an easy task because I really didn't unpack from the previous weekend's basketball trip (utter laziness, really no other excuse). After re-packing a few things, I finished up my planning and getting the work ready for my students that would not be traveling with me.

Morning came quickly that night and I found myself scrambling around my place, trying to figure out what I was forgetting (while the truck was waiting to take us to the airport) in no time at all. We made it to Nulato and lost both of our games on Friday night. I don't know what it was for certain, but we just didn't have it on Friday night. We redeemed ourselves wtih an outstanding victory by one point on Saturday night. The game was awesome despite almost giving it away; we were up by ten going into the fourth quarter and let them make a comeback (I'll take the blame and say poor coaching). We got back from Nulato today at 2:30, just in time to catch the last three quarters of the Super Bowl. I think everyone would agree that it was an awesome game, but I wish those damn Steelers wouldn't have won. Next year the Patriots will go 19-0 with Tom Brady back at the helm (yep, I'm still calling a 19-0 season after that Super Bowl/18-1 debacle a year ago).

Alright, now that I've brought you up to speed on my week, here are some pictures I took from the weekend.

I took this at the tribal office before we left. The guy filling up the fuel tank got a little close to the building with his snow-go....it happens (if you can't tell, it's leaning against the building). We did ask him if he wanted help, but he said that he didn't need it out until later and would have help then.

This is the runway in Nulato, AK, right next to the beautiful, Yukon River.

It was a little foggy over the Yukon for our take off this afternoon, still very nice.

This is what it looked like when were a little higher and the fog began to clear.

I've almost forgotten a few important topics for this post. The first of these two topics is the crazy amount of traveling that I'm going to be doing for the next month. As of last weekend, I will not be home for seven straight weekends...yes, seven! Let me give you the rundown. Wednesday we go to Fairbanks to play a game on Wednesday night and then one on Thursday night. Friday, we get up and drive to Delta Junction to play a game on Friday and Saturday night; Sunday, we drive back to Fairbanks and I will put my players on a plane to go back home and I will stay in town. Monday and Tuesday, I'm going to be in the District Office again to work on the Social Studies Curriculum. Wednesday through Saturday is a district wide in-service that also takes place in Fairbanks. I come back home on Sunday and then stay until Friday...still following me??? Okay I'll put some dates in here to make this a little easier. That Friday (Feb. 20) I'm leaving for Anchorage to go to the ASTE Technology Conference; I am completely pumped about this one, not only haven't I been to Anchorage yet (the thirty minute layover on the flight up doesn't count), but this conference is going to be very cool and I'm sure I will learn some things that will be helpful in the classroom. I come back from that on Wednesday (Feb. 25) then on Friday we head to Tanana for our last basketball tournament before regions. The following weekend (March 6-8) is the Regional Basketball Tournament in Fairbanks...then the next weekend starts Spring Break. How's that for a jam packed schedule??? Just typing that out was a little tiring, but I think I'll manage just fine. I had plans of doing something for Spring Break, but a week at home might be just what I need by that time (probably not, I'm pretty sure I'll be traveling for the 8th weekend in a row).

The other major thing I wanted to talk about in this post was my plans for next year. I received a contract for next year from the District Office this last week; it should come as no surprise to you that I pulled it out, immediately signed it, and put it right back in that manilla envelope. They'd have to kick me out to get rid of me at this point. I've had an amazing experience this year and can't wait to see what next year brings. I feel that I've made some really positive advances with my students, but in no way do I consider the job finished. Not only have I loved teaching my students, but I think they've loved teaching me as well. Whether they realize it or not, they have helped me learn a remarkable amount about myself and who I want to become as an educator. I whole heartedly look forward to the 2009-2010 school year in Allakaket, AK; a place that I'm very proud to call my home. Here are a few more pictures of the weekend.

I don't like to take pictures of myself, but this is how I roll on the flights across the interior. You should alway gear up so that you're ready for anything. That's my spectacular beaver hat that I purchased from and elder in town. The beaver was trapped on the Alatna River, only about one mile north from where I live. (the ear flaps are tied up)
Got to see a little blue sky on the flight home today, it was a welcome site.


This is a small area of mountains between Huslia and Allakaket.

There are a couple of new pictures at the bottom of the page as well. It is way passed my bed time at this point. I hope everyone is doing great and taking good care of themselves. Until next week...
Peace and Love,
Nicholas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the elder make you that beaver pelt below your lower lip as well!?! Love it.

Derek French said...

Congrats on being asked back for next year Golden Boy!

SoDak12 said...

Pats...ha...Tom Brady...Even bigger ha. He won't be making a wonderous return, yet he will be bellying up to that proverbial bar known as the "Analyst Chair" or the part time retirement work for those who "just can't let go." It's okay Nicholas, someday you will find another true love that will lead your team to the promise land but until around the year 2020 you might want to stick with dog sled racing...The sad part is that according to the Maya the world may end in 2012 and you will never again get the chance to hold that Pat flag high and dance around in your skivvies...Sorry bud but the day of the Pat dynasty is over..Time for a Niners return..That's right you heard it here first.
Glad to see your having fun bud, and that you decided to stay. During this time of economic hardship I don't think there is a much better idea than to get away from the hustle/bustle civilization for a while and take in some true beauty and nature. Keep in touch with a brother and stay warm, stay safe, and stay clean ;)
Peace

Michael Joe said...

Kevin Colestock dosnt know what hes talking about, the 49s are terrible and are not getting better any time soon. The vikings will win a super bowl befor the niners. Dont listern to that guy, what to do with Cassel though, i know a team thats one good QB away from a title, but well see. The blog looks good i dont get on much b/c i dont have the interweb, so i get behind. Give me a shout sometime and stay warm.