Another week in the books. This last week went by really fast....that is until Friday morning when my Junior High Basketball Team and I flew over to Nulato for our first tournament!!! They were a very excited group of adolescents when we picked them up with the bus on Friday morning. The excitement must have continued on the flight because not one of them was quiet the entire time. A few of my 7th grade girls also found it to be a good opportunity to annoy me as I sat in the co-pilots seat in front of them (not the last time they would purposely annoy me on the weekend). The tournament went fairly well. We lost all of our games, but please take into consideration that we were the smallest school there and our best player is out for the season with a broken foot. I consider it a successful tournament for my players...every one of them had a good time and all seven were on the plane back to Allakaket this morning. One of the highlights of the weekend was when my only male player, Levi, won the three-point competition at the tournament! He probably still has and ear to ear grin on his face! We stayed at the Andrew K. Demoski School in Nulato, and I would have to say that for a classroom floor, my stay was pretty comfy. One of the greatest parts of the weekend was the flight home this morning. There were some low-lying clouds around Nulato, but within thirty seconds we were above them and engulfed in some beautiful Alaskan sunshine (see pictures below).
This coming week is sure to be a busy one, I have my first ever parent-teacher conferences and the Halloween Carnival on Friday. Basketball practice will also be a little more strenuous this week, now that I've seen my team play in a game I know what we need to work on most. The water situation is steadily improving at our site. The well isn't producing water all the time, but it's producing enough so we don't have to worry about running out (a bush life victory). Another exciting event this week is that our school is getting a new pickup. The pickup is actually flown out here on a fairly large cargo plane (I can't wait to see how they land on our minuscule airstrip). This is an extremely exciting occurrence for us teachers at Allakaket; it will be nice to have a warm ride to and from the airport. For instance, this morning when we got back, the 3-5 grade teacher Rebecca was there to pick us up with the snowmobile and sled. I volunteered to take a ride in the sled which was probably not the smartest thing I did today. The temperature at 11:00 am was a balmy -16 degrees, which makes for a very cold sled ride. Right now the temperature is -27.......and dropping.
I suppose this should be the end of the post for tonight, it's time for my (short) nightly walk outside to see if I can catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights. I caught an early glimpse in September when we were at Culture Camp, but they haven't been back yet. I'll be standing outside freezing and loving every second of it the next time they come back.
Peace and Love
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You forgot to mention the fact about that nice K-3 teacher from Nulato that let you take a shower at his apartment and hung out with you all weekend...what a jerk!
Post a Comment