Monday, November 17, 2008

Exhausted but ecstatic...

Oh what a tiring weekend. In case you didn't read the last post, I went to a Junior High Basketball Tournament in Huslia this weekend. It was a lot of fun, but I'm definitely worn out. Being in charge of seven adolescents all weekend is in some ways a daunting task. Despite being a little drained right now, I'm still glowing a little bit because we won our last game of the season. We hadn't won a game yet and to be honest it didn't look like we were going to. We played Kaltag in the very first game of the tournament and they beat us by three, luckily we ended up playing them for the 5th and 6th place game at the end of the tournament. My players finally started working together as a team and they couldn't have made me happier. I can't describe how happy I felt when I saw them all smiling because of their accomplishment. Our goal was to improve enough over the season and win one game, and we conquered our goal.

The funniest (and most disgusting) part of the weekend came at about 1:00 in the morning last night. Along with my two boys, I was chaperoning for two boys from the Nulato team. For some reason, they started having a dirty sock fight which involved smelly, filthy socks flying mainly at me. It was nothing short of gross, but all I could do was defend myself and wop some middle schoolers with their own foul smelling footwear. I couldn't help but notice that the whole room ended up smelling like a foot for the rest of the night (ewwwwwwwwwww).

Our plane left Huslia today (Sunday) at about 1:00 pm. I was very excited to be coming home and even more excited when I found out that OUR WATER WAS BACK ON!!!!!! Before I go on with this I'm going to backtrack to Wednesday night. Our water was obviously still out and it had been 6 days since I had taken a shower. I couldn't stand it anymore and there was basically no chance that our water was going to be back on anytime soon, so I decided to try out what I soon realized is the greatest invention of all time............the camp shower (see picture below). I never in my life imagined that a cold shower from a plastic bag could be so exhilerating, but believe me it was nothing short of euphoric. I took one more camp shower on Friday morning before I left for Huslia, and it was just as good the second time. Okay, back to today. Our water was back on when I got home. As soon as I got in the door I went into the bathroom and turned the faucet on and then something amazing happened.....WATER CAME OUT!!!! It was a really good feeling, I actually just started laughing a little bit because I had simply become used to not having it.

This week is going to be a short and delightful week for me. I'm leaving on Thursday afternoon and going to Fairbanks to spend the weekend in town. Pete from Ruby and Derek from Nulato are meeting me and we're all going to get our fast food fix for the next couple months. We are also going in for one of the best holidays of the year.....the Ohio State/Michigan game WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO O H I O!!!! Derek and I are big Ohio State fans and Pete is from Michigan, so the game is going to be fun. We wanted to go to a sports bar for the festivities but quickly realized that the game is on at 8:00 am our time. Not a problem, we just decided to have McDonalds breakfast and watch the game. I'm going to try not to overdo it with the fastfood while I'm in town because it's been great to not even has it as an option. I'll try to post again this week and I will get out and take some more pictures before then.

Hope everyone is doing well. Peace & Love

No comments: