Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween was a lot more fun when I was a kid...

Well, here I am moving right along through the second quarter of my first school year as a teacher. I still can't believe how fast it's going and the other teachers tell me that between now and Christmas Break will go the fastest.

My days have been continuing to be busy and the schedule doesn't look like it's going to open up anytime soon. Junior High Basketball has their last tournament on the 14th and 15th, but High School Basketball conditioning practice starts next week already. I'm looking forward to the conditioning, as it will be good for me as well as my players. I've been trying to keep exercising throughout my time up here and have been doing a pretty good job.

Last week was an incredibly fast week. Monday and Tuesday consisted of early let-outs for conferences and Thursday was Halloween Carnival Set-up and Friday was the Halloween Carnival. The carnival ended up going really really well, but it was a lot of work to pull-off. The high-schoolers and I did a great job with decorating the gym (see photos below). By the end of decorating we were all impressed with what we could do when we all (by all I mean some) pitched in. There were a lot of good costumes, including mine, and everyone had a blast. I had a lot of trick-or-treaters on Frday night and not one egg thrown at my house (I think this had more to do with eggs being a hot commodity in the village rather than the students liking me enough not to throw eggs at my house).

This week has been good so far, my state teaching mentor was out on his first visit today and that went great. He is going to be a real help to me throughout this first year and into next year.
Well, I'm off too bed, lots of things to do in the morning before school starts.

Hope all is well with everyone that reads my blog.
Peace & Love

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Nick,

My name is Ann Mason, I am Nancy's daughter. In order to capture the Northern Lights on film you will need a slow shutter speed on your camera. Regular cameras cannot capture the Northern Lights due to lack of light. If you can control the shutter speed to allow the film to be exposed between 10 to 20 seconds, you should be able to capture the Northern Lights on film.

What I found most interesting in Allakaket, was the fact that most students out there took for granted the Northern Lights. They thought that everyone in the lower 48 could see them.

I cannot believe how you and my Mom live out there. It is a village of less than 300 people. I think Anchorage is a small place and there are more than 400,000 people here.

I am glad you are enjoying it and if you want the skinnie on Anchorage, give me a call. I am in the phone book or just ask my Mom for my number.

Hope to hear from you!!

Ann - in Anchorage (Since you have another friend named Ann)